Happy Giving Tuesday!
Today I'm thrilled to announce our 14 amazing grant candidates for this year with sex-positive projects on a wide range of topics, from teaching porn literacy and crafting erotic LARPs to providing support to survivors of sexual assault via podcast. We've just launched our year-end fundraiser to raise $75,000 to make these 14 grants and keep the Foundation moving forward.
Today, 11/27, only, Facebook will match your donation dollar-for-dollar. Please make a gift to support these artists and educators now!
Last year, together we raised $40,000 for eight pilot grants. In the past year, those projects have reached over 1,000 people in person (as participants, artists/models, and audience members) and approximately 57,000 people through the web (via social media, podcast downloads, and more.) This year, we're going even bigger!
For the 2018-2019 grant cycle, the Effing Foundation has selected twelve new projects and two previously funded projects to support, but we can't do it without you!
- Birds, Bees...Porn?! written by Jess Melendez (San Francisco, CA) and illustrated by Jeremy Alva (Portland, OR) -- a book for teens and their parents to understand media literacy and porn literacy, covering topics such as consent, communication, safer sex, body image, anatomy, ethical porn, and the differences between sex trafficking and sex work.
- The Black Trans Prayer Book, co-edited by J Mase III (Seattle, WA) and Lady Dane Figueroa Edidi (Washington, DC) -- The #BlackTransPrayerBook is an interfaith, multi-dimensional, artistic and theological work that collects the stories, poems, prayers, meditations, and incantations of Black TGNC contributors.
- Disability and Sexuality Access Network by Cassandra "Caz" Perry (Silver Spring, MD) and Amber (St. Petersburg, FL) -- DASANetwork is building a diverse community of people from numerous fields and media who are passionate about agitating, advocating, and educating about disability, sex, and sexuality.
- Dive Deeper with Goddess Cecilia (Jamaica Plain, MA) -- a video series exploring sex, sexuality, and surviving while swimming between multiple worlds.
- Erotic Art Games, co-edited by Sharang Biswas and Lucian Kahn (NYC) -- an anthology of sex-themed roleplaying and performance-based games, featuring work by RPG designers, LARP writers, and artists.
- HonestlyNae (Aurora, CO) -- HonestlyNae is your personal sexuality educator here to provide normalization, explanation, and melanated representation.
- Native Youth Sexual Health Network (US and Canada) -- NYSHN is a grassroots, Indigenous-led community organization to support the sexual health of Indigenous people, including Two Spirit and LGBTQIA individuals.
- Perverts of Color Zine edited by Jaki Griot (Baltimore, MD) -- a bi-monthly publication dedicated to kinky people of color celebrating the diversity of perversity!
- So, You Need To Talk To Your Doctor About Sex by Kirsten Schultz of Chronic Sex (Madison, WI) -- To help patients receive the best care, especially when it comes to sexual and genital health, we need to create tools to improve how we all talk about sex in the exam room.
- Supporting the Financially Disenfranchised in a Culture of Consent by Julian Addams Wolf (Albuquerque, NM) -- creating conversations, brochures, workshops and art that share the stories of the financially disenfranchised people in our kink and ethical non monogamy communities to help eliminate shame and stigma while giving the financially disenfranchised additional platforms within our community.
- Trauma Queen by Jimanekia Eborn (Los Angeles, CA) -- a podcast mini-series focused on normalizing the conversation around sexual assault. Providing a free resource, each episode will highlight active and productive steps forward for survivors and allies. Answering the ultimate question: How can we collectively continue to heal?
- Yoseñio V. Lewis (San Francisco, CA) -- Yoseñio V. Lewis is a Latino of African Descent female to male transsexual who has been a social justice activist since he was 13 years old. A health educator, speaker, writer, performer, trainer, facilitator, out poly and kinky person and a spiritual hugger, Yoseñio is a Board Member of TASHRA—The Alternative Sexualities Health Research Alliance.
Previously Supported Candidates
- The Adipositivity Project by Substantia Jones (NYC) -- nude portrait series of fat models (including queer/trans models and models of color); empowering fat people as unapologetically sexual beings through artistic photography.
- PolyDallas Millennium Symposium by Ruby Johnson, LCSW (Dallas, TX) -- PolyDallas Millennium is a sex-positive sexual health symposium that is a platform for marginalized and oppressed groups. We provide education on ethical non-monogamous relationships in an oppressive and stigmatizing society. Educators, activists, and community leaders that are representative of the attendees engage the audience in shared language and experiences. PolyDallas Millennium is a symposium that has space and joy for all communities and all ways of being.
Thank you so much for all of your support and encouragement! Together, we can support this fabulous group of artists and educators and create a more sex-positive future.
Kit Stubbs, Ph.D.
Founder & Executive Director